Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Hometown Challenge - Rules and sign-up form

Welcome to the home of the new Hometown Challenge.   



The idea behind this challenge is actually pretty simple, read at least one book that takes place in your hometown*.

The Rules:
1)You must read 1 non-fiction book, but the rest can be either fiction or non-fiction.
2) Anybody can join, you don't have to have a blog to participate.
3) The challenge runs September 1st, 2010 through August 31st, 2011.
4) You must sign-up for this challenge using the sign-up form below.
5) You can sign-up for this challenge anytime before August 1st, 2011.
6) You don't have to create a list of books you plan to read ahead of time, but if you do know what you plan to read, it would be fun if you did.


There are 4 levels to this challenge:
Level 1: Tourist - read 1-2 books
Level 2: Relocation - read 3-4 books
Level 3: Local - read 5-6 books
Level 4: Founder - read 7-8 books

The fun is in finding books that will work for this challenge - be creative!

While this isn't going to be a rule for the challenge, please do visit this blog each month after the challenge begins to let us know what book you read and see what other's are reading (I'll have a form for you to fill out each month).

*Hometown would refer to the city you live in or if you live in a small town, the county you live in or the closest major city.  Also, as in my case, I live in a suburb of St. Louis, so while St. Louis isn't the actual city that I live in, I consider myself a resident of St. Louis (I am considered St. Louis County after all).   As you can see, I'm pretty flexible when it comes to determining what city you should read about.

9 comments:

  1. Hi!
    I would love to join in on this challenge. I have posted about this at my place and have my list of books. Have a great day!

    Sherrie
    Just Books
    http://sherriesbooks.blogspot.com/2010/11/2011-reading-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for joining the challenge Sherrie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think i have read everything set in my little town, but there msut be a few in the county

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grilsgood - I hope you find something for the surrounding area..I'm impressed you have already read something for your town. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kris! You are such a busy woman. So many blogs and you run, and that's just a bit of who you are. How do you do it? I did your cozy mystery challenge last year, so I was happy to see this one. Thanks! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for signing up for this challenge too Su-sieee! Mac! I'm sure you've noticed, but I'm often behind in my blog posting. lol! It is hard to keep up but I do love it. I'm also lucky that my work is pretty laid back, as long as I get my work done I can be on the internet in my free time. shhh..don't tell though. haha! That's why I end up blogging mostly during the week..and during the day. I hope to see you for the cozy challenge again this year too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your challenge and am excited about joing. I live in Maine, so I think I should be able to find some interesting Non-fiction and Fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  8. found a little for this year....I do have a question

    I live in the suburbs of a large city...I'm sure there are no books about my city but there are lots set in the larger one...would that have worked?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Book Dragon - That would have worked! I live in a suburb of a later city too but associate myself with that as my city. I'm not sure I'll be doing this challenge again, I have more going on in my life next year and don't think I'll be able to keep up.

    ReplyDelete